After summer indulgences, many of us seek a way to get a boost of energy and well-being as we head back to our school and work routines. Fall cleansing is the perfect way to strengthen your system to deal with the coming change in diet and lifestyle that winter brings. Pre-winter cleansing helps to prevent the build up of toxins, optimize digestive health and strengthen the immune system, making those colds and flus go away faster, or not come at all. Here are some other benefits of cleansing:
From September 15th-November 15th, Markham Integrative Medicine is offering a fall cleanse package which includes the following:
-2 one-on-one sessions with Dr. Tatiana Khoudiachova, ND
-Take home resources including shopping lists, menu plans, healthy recipes, and tips for eating out
-Customized detoxifying supplementation plan
-2 complimentary BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) tests
For those of you who are excited to start your fall cleanse today, here are a few quick, but important tips to help you get started.
– Load up on Warming Foods. During the cooler fall and winter months, the body needs more warming foods (according to Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy). Add a variety of warming vegetables to their diet such as squash, beets, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin. Onions, leeks, and chives are also great additions, especially in comforting chili and soups. Enjoy a warm breakfast, such as oatmeal, quinoa flakes or millet, instead of a cold smoothie or cereal.
– Spice up your fall with warming spices such as cinnamon, ginger, fennel, coriander, rosemary and clove. Natural spices are always better than pre-made sauces that often contain high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and other additives.
– Herbal teas count towards your water intake, so shop for a variety of nourishing detox teas such as milk thistle, ginger, dandelion, cilantro, and apple cinnamon.
– Switch to organic meat, dairy and eggs, as animal products often contain hormones and more pesticide residue than even fruit and vegetables.
– Choose organic fruit and vegetables. The most important to buy organic are; peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, lettuce, grapes, cherries, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.
– Say no to plastic for storing food and liquid. Use glass and stainless steel for storage of food and beverages rather than plastic.
– Choose non-toxic cosmetic products. Skin is our biggest organ and it will soak in many of the chemicals that we apply to the surface. Parabens are particularly a problem and have been linked to cancer.
– Invest in a water filter, such as reverse osmosis, and an air filter for your home, particularly if you have pets, allergies or a home with carpets.
– Choose ‘fragrance free’ detergents and cosmetics, which naturally have less chemicals.
There are many cleansing programs out there, and it is certainly temping to get hooked on the latest and ‘greatest’ detox program. However, detoxification is a complex process and one glove does not fit all. Work with your Naturopathic doctor to create an individualized cleansing program that will be safe and effective in helping you fall back into your optimal health.
Click here to book a fall cleanse with Dr. Tatiana– Markham Integrative Medicine’s Fall Cleanse Package is available between September 15th-November 15th, 2017.